Elizabeth S. Schmitt
Fax: (317) 574-0969
- Professional & Civic
- Education & Awards
Elizabeth is an experienced commercial litigator, having handled a variety of business and insurance disputes. Elizabeth has resolved numerous disputes through mediation, but has also taken matters to trial, and through the appeals process.
Construction projects sometimes go awry. With her breadth of litigation experience, Elizabeth can approach construction disputes from a unique perspective, allowing her to provide clients with the best strategy to bring matters to a resolution.
Prior to joining Easter & Cavosie in 2021, Elizabeth served as a judicial clerk on the Indiana Court of Appeals, and gained significant litigation experience with Dinsmore & Shohl, a large national firm in downtown Indianapolis.
Elizabeth has handled numerous disputes involving whether coverage was afforded under various insurance contracts.
In 2018-2019, Elizabeth successfully defended a concrete delivery company in a wrongful death case, obtaining a dismissal against her client.
In 2018, Elizabeth was co-counsel in a high-value business dispute, involving claims of breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and tortious interference. After Elizabeth drafted the complaint on behalf of her clients, the matter quickly resolved in a favorable outcome.
In 2019, Elizabeth was co-counsel defending an individual who was being sued for the accidental death of a minor. The matter went up to the Indiana Court of Appeals, where Elizabeth was responsible for all briefing. The panel interpreted the applicable statutory language for the first time, resulting in a favorable opinion.
Speeches & Publications
- DTCI: COA Allows Medical Bills in PI Suit Seeking Only Damages, The Indiana Lawyer, 2021
- Low-Impact Rear-End Collisions: A Case Study, Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana Annual Conference, 2016
- The Dangers of Using Fraud Detection Methods: Why the Reid Technique and Statement Analysis May be Problematic, Defense Research Institute’s In-House Defense Quarterly, 2015
- State – Indiana
- Federal – Northern and Southern District of Indiana
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- DePauw University, B.A, magna cum laude, 2008
- Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2011
- Associate Notes Editor for Federal Communications Law Journal
- Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition Brief Writing Honors
- Indiana Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2018-2021
- Best Lawyers Ones to Watch, 2021