Charles B. Daugherty is an attorney at Easter & Cavosie. Charlie focuses his practice on construction law and real estate. Charlie represents many of the Midwest’s largest commercial and residential developers, owner’s representatives, construction managers, contractors, design-builders, subcontractors, material and equipment suppliers, design professionals, consultants, and other companies with interests related to construction and real estate.
Charlie credits his interest in construction and real estate to his experiences working for Infrastructure Systems, Inc., a contractor located in southern Indiana, prior to joining Easter & Cavosie. Charlie gained first-hand experience in the construction world before deciding to focus his efforts as a lawyer on those topics. His first published article analyzed the relationship of business entities involved in construction projects and their ability to guard against liability through the use of contractual indemnification. Charlie leans on his experiences in the construction industry to enable him to intimately understand the needs of business clients.
Charlie graduated summa cum laude earning his J.D. from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis. In law school, Mr. Daugherty served on the Executive Board of the Indiana Law Review. He was also a tutor for the Dean’s Tutorial Society and a student member of the Indianapolis and Indiana State Bar Associations. In addition, Mr. Daugherty received several accolades in law school including the Judge Forest E. Jump Memorial Scholarship, the Michael J. Sacopulos Tax Award, and the Papke Prize for most outstanding student-authored article. Mr. Daugherty graduated from Purdue University in 2007, where he earned his B.A. in education.
In addition to practicing law, Charlie also serves as Adjunct Professor of Contract Drafting at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. His class focuses on practical considerations when drafting and reviewing commercial contracts. Charlie also serves on the Indiana State Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Council.
Charlie and his fiancé, Laura, reside in Indianapolis.
Areas of Practice:
- Construction law
- Real Estate
- Contract Negotiation and Drafting
- Business Law
- Arbitration, Mediation, and Dispute Resolution
- Who Needs Contract Law?—A Critical Look at Contractual Indemnification (or Lack Thereof) in FHAA and ADA “Design and Construct” Cases, 44 Ind. L. Rev. 545 (2011)
- Survey of Recent Developments in Real Property Law, 45 Ind. L. Rev. 1305 (2012)
- Survey of Recent Developments in Real Property Law, 46 Ind. L. Rev. 1199 (2013)
- Editor’s Perspective: Leadership Development and Service Project, YLS Network (March, 2015)
- Editor’s Perspective: Adapting to an Intergenerational Practice, YLS Network (June, 2015)
- Editor’s Perspective: Personal and Professional Wellness, YLS Network (September, 2015)
- Union-Based Bidding Restrictions: Unresolved Issues
- Indiana Real Property Law Update, IndyBar Brownbag CLE Series (July 15, 2013)